Bennett’s interest in operating in an environmentally safe manner prompted us to become a SmartWay Partner. SmartWay is a collaborative, voluntary program between the Environmental Protection Agency’s and the freight industry with a mission to increase energy efficiency and security while significantly reducing air pollution and greenhouse gases. The partnership strives to create market-based incentives that challenge trucking companies to improve their environmental performance. Bennett’s participation in the EPA’s SmartWay Partnership and our driver training program provided the direction for us to employ techniques to reduce rolling resistance, reduce wind drag, limit idling, observe posted speed limits and minimize dead-heading. Each of these practices contributes to the reduction of fuel consumption and emissions.
Bennett supports all of our customers’ environmental/green initiatives. Programs vary by customer, but some examples include:
- Recycling of cardboard, pallets, and paper
- Development and expansion of returnable container program
- Spill prevention/control of fluids
- Tire Recycling
- Transition to network printers to eliminate wasteful printer cartridges
- Plastic and paper recycling programs
- Recycling of retired MHE through appropriate scrapping centers
- Prevention and Containment of HAZMAT spillage
- Manage the use and recycling of petroleum products and chemical
BDS views both our customers and vendors as part of our extended Family. As such, we work closely with them in a collaborative effort to share and encourage adoption of environmentally friendly practices. We work with our vendors and suppliers to not only improve the process, but also to improve the quality of life for those who use and maintain their products.